Saturday, January 9, 2010

Reflection

It has been exactly one year since I found out I had a huge blood clot in my leg. Four days before that, I had a pulmonary embolism (blood clot left my leg and went into my lungs- 1 of 3 people who get this die of it) My life has changed forever. I'm so glad I'm here to tell the story.
I want to reflect a little about how I was feeling then and how I am feeling now.

Went I first found out about it:
* I felt really scared.
* I cried a lot not knowing if I'd be around for my kids.
* I worried about my unborn child
* Later, I felt really angry. I didn't understand why this happened when I was trying so hard to eat and be healthy (I guess I thought I had super human powers)
* I was humbled. Having to go on a drug was one of the hardest things I had to do. It hurt so much inside my heart.
* I was terrified at the thought that I didn't have control of my life.
* I had to learn to trust in Heavenly Father. He knows what's best for me. This doesn't come easily. I still struggle to remember this.
* I learned compassion for others who have to go through health problems. Before I used to think in my head, "if only they ate healthy." I guess I needed humbling.
* I know my Heavenly Father loves me especially when I have trials.

What would I tell others:
*Keep active and exercise everyday.
* If you're on a long plane or car ride. Get out or up every 2 hours and walk around. Pump your foot up and down for 10 min. on the hour.
* drink plenty of water.
*If you're pregnant and really sick, do all you can to drink water and lightly exercise. If you are in bed too long pump your foot up and down for 10 min. every hour. This may have prevented my clot. You are at higher risk for a clot when pregnant, especially when you're really sick, inactive a lot, and can't keep water down.
*If you have pain in your groin area or a swelled up leg or foot, go and get it checked out!
* If you have trouble breathing and get a sudden cough when no one else in you family gets it, get it checked out!
*Don't cross your legs.
* Birth control pills can cause blood clots.

My leg is mostly back to normal. It is not as flexible as the other. I can't sit on my knees any more because it is very painful. They have no idea why because my clot is totally gone beneath my knee. Oh well. It's a reminder to me of who is in charge. I will need to wear the compression nylons for one more year and I will never cross my legs again.

I'm so happy that we made it through and that my baby is healthy and strong. Thank you for all you have done for us this year. I was so amazed by all the love and support we got. I hope I can be there for you when you need some extra support.



3 comments:

Myra said...

Wow, Mary. What a year you've had! I, too, am so grateful you are doing so well, that you are here with us, and that sweet little Justin is here and is doing great! What blessings!

Hmmm I'm going to have to rethink things whenever I feel like crossing my legs! : )

Kathryn said...

We are so happy that you are Justin made it through.

Kel said...

Thanks for the reflection. Life's experiences are amazing in so many ways. Unpredictable, unorganized, humbling, and often beautiful. I'm glad you shared this post.