June 29th
So well, today went pretty smoothly until about half way through but hey…..we didn’t miss a beat this time (note to self: always add in an extra 2 more hours than you think). A guy waved me off the freeway while Pat was snoozing peacefully jolting him into a rudely interrupted nap. The wires that make the lights work on the trailer were dragging on the freeway and pretty frayed by the time the guy waved us down. Lights weren’t working any more. Well, we had to get off the freeway anyway to go to Whole Foods to stock up on food for the next few days. It should only take about an hour….right? I learned a few things and thought I’d pass it along.
First, never go shopping with 5 kids especially when you are in another state where they consider you insane for even having one child. I knew we’d get looks and comment so I’ll make sure to right them down here. As Justin was singing loudly (really loudly) and Tanner and Brady were fighting, a guy said, “I think you parents are the strongest people I know. I think I’ll be happy just being an uncle (to one nephew).” Matthew and Savannah were nowhere to be seen. I think he may have had a heart attack if he’d have known about the other two. It’s really weird going into places and seeing hardly any kids.
Raw milk is illegal in Kentucky but don’t worry…. you can still get wine and beer. I sure hope my kefir lives through this abuse.
A screaming, protesting two year old is almost impossible to get into a car seat. Poor baby : (
Don’t buy Rotisserie chicken for lunch when you have to eat in the car without plates.
AC is a huge blessing. It takes living in a trailer with no AC and going to really humid states to realize this.
Food is much more expensive out of Utah so plan accordingly.
So 2 hours after we got off the freeway, we are still waiting for Patrick to fix the trailer lights and we just lost an hour when we passed the last state. So I guess our plan of getting to the camp site early is not going to happen today. May be we will have better luck tomorrow?
So I guess I’ll be posting more than I thought now that I have internet while we’re driving. You may get bored to death but at least I have something to do : )
My new motto is, “If it doesn’t kill us it’ll make us stronger!”
Have a great day and while you are sitting in your air conditioned house make sure you say thanks in your next prayer (and think about us sitting in a trailer at night sweating to death).
Note: written next day - We arrived at our campground at about 1:00am. We got lost and when we finally got to bed it was way too late.
June 30 –
We didn’t get driving until about 12:00. We were too tired from the night before and after a few breakdowns we decided to take some time to play. We got to Virgina at about 8:00. It’s really beautiful here, very green with lots of trees. We were so excited to see the ocean and to take about a week off from whole driving days. Today went pretty smoothly. The trailer did unhitch about 2 minutes after we took off but we were only going about 5 miles per hour. Justin also came down with a fever..poor baby : ( I was hoping to avoid that but I knew it was a possibility with using all these public restrooms (yuk) and not eating normally. He got a blessing tonight so I hope the fever breaks soon. He has still been very cheerful and sweet. “Become like a little child” is starting to have a deeper meaning to me. Good Night: )


1 comment:
You guys are amazing! Especially you, Mary, for writing such fun stuff about your trip while you're in the car! How amazing you are! : )
I hope you all have a fabulous time!
Post a Comment