Wednesday, June 29, 2011

On the Road

So apparently we have internet on the road in bigger cities SO I'll write what I can until I loose access. Today is a long drive to West Virgina. Justin has done well up until now. He finally figured out that we will be driving for a while so he's not too excited about it today. He's watched every show about 5 times each so even that's wearing off. I can't get a bunch of my pictures to download so they may need to come later.

Well we are on day 5 of our trip. So far it's been pretty hard. I'm sure it'll get better after we get to where we can go see things.

Day 1 -
My advice for this day would be to check the weather before you go on a big long trip. Apparently there are tornados out there. We we drove all day. Wyoming is mostly ranges of cattle and sage brush. We hardly saw any houses, just cows...moooo. It was getting late and we were about 3 hours from our destination when we noticed people pulling off to the side of the freeway. We kept driving until we saw so many cars that we thought something might be going on. I jokingly looked off into the distance and told Pat that it looked like a tornado. He said he didn't think it was the season for that. We finally pulled off to find out what was going on and low and behold it was a tornado watch about 15 up the freeway! The guy we pulled over by said we could go in the low valley (right off the freeway) if the tornado touched down. By the time we got back on the freeway we decided to go to the next city rather then drive right in to the storm. When we finally found a place to stay. It took a while to get the tent trailer up. It broke. The door would not open and is wouldn't stay up. Patrick finally shoved a screw driver in the gear to keep it up and that is what we have done this whole time. We also didn't thing about the time it take to clean up and put the trailer up each day. It took about 2 hours the first day.

Day 2 - My advice for this day is, If you go on a trip with 7 people for 3 weeks in a tent trailer, just know you will not have to room to walk in the trailer (just sleep) and no personal space. It kind of feels like we are on a trek. So today we drove through Nebraska. Nebraska is Mostly corn fields....everywhere, and a few potato and grain fields. We didn't see a lot of houses together. It was miles of fields and every once in a while you'd see a bunch of trees and upon closer investigation you'd see a house out in the middle of those trees. It was pretty much like this the whole time. Oh and we didn't' get to church. We planned on it but we got to bed so late that by the time we got up and packed it was too late. The kids watch church videos in the car. We didn't want to drive too much on Sunday either but we were too far behind and we need to be in the east by Thursday. When we finally got to our destination there was another storm brewing. When we checked in they told us that there was another tornado watch and it was going to come right over the top of us. He reassured us that if the tornado touched down there would be an alarm and they had a storm cellar we could go in. I wonder how they were planning on fitting all 200 people (in trailers) in a small storm cellar? That would've been fun. The storm did come right over the top of us. It was the worst storm I have ever been in and down right scary in the tent trailer. I haven't prayed so hard my whole life. Miraculously, Justin and Tanner slept through the whole thing. Savannah thought it was so cool until Matthew woke her up telling her the tent trailer might catch on fire. Somehow the trailer made it through with any damage. I'm sure our prayers were answered. WHEW! With no sleep and such crowed living arrangements lets just say we were all pretty grumpy. Oh, we finally got to see lighting bugs. They were everywhere and way cool, like little fire works. We caught some and tried to get a picture of them glowing but it didn't work. They were also in Missouri.

Day 3 -
Another crazy driving day! We did get to see Liberty Jail and Independence Missouri. It was pretty neat. I really have a new found respect for the pioneers after what we have been through. The camp ground we went to was beautiful! It was like the mountains except there were no mountains. They had a lake with frogs, lightning bugs, swimming pool, big playground, etc. We didn't get to spend much time at the camp ground like I wish we could've though. The younger boys loved it! We finally got a good night's sleep! YAY! I think we are getting use to this: )

Day 4 - We didn't have to pack up and go to another campground. It was so nice. We went to 6 flags all day. It was so hot! I think the kids had fun but ...really.... these places are for teenagers. For some reason I thought this would be a break from driving but it just wore us out more. Oh well. Matthew, Savannah, and Brady went for a swim when we got back to the campground. I did laundry and made dinner and Pat got gas and we both started packing so we could get out early the next day. We were getting a little insane at night. I think this has gotten to our brain. We decided to slow down a bit so we can enjoy the trip and not kill us over.

Day 5 - That's today! We got up early and actually went by 8:30. Our goal was 7:00 but at least we made it before 11:00. Tanner, Justin, and I went frog hunting while Matthew and Patrick put down the trailer.

More updates later : ) I'm going to take a nap.

No comments: