Friday, July 8, 2011

NYC

July 7

For all you NYC lovers you may not want to read below : ) This is my opinion and it doesn’t reflect the opinion of the whole family.

I didn’t like NYC at all. As a matter of fact I pretty much hated it. WHY, do you ask?

*Way too busy and crazy. Everyone is running around like their pants are on fire and watch out….don’t get in their way or they will just push you out of it or just act really annoyed.

* It’s not family friendly at all. I think I saw maybe 3 strollers the whole time. People just stared at us like we were insane (and we were..what was I thinking taking 5 kids into NYC and on the Metro???) Hmmm.

*It is a money pit. Everything costs way too much. We spent $50 on the Metro and only went to 2 destinations. You can’t really carry enough food so that’s another big cost. The Empire State building, just to go up 86 levels, cost our family $120. WHEW.

* You can’t get anywhere very fast (especially if you don’t know the city or how to use the Metro. We only went to the Empire State Building and Central Park and it took ALL day. We left around 9:00am and got back at 10:30pm. It was crazy.

We pretty much sleep in a parking lot for two days. The RV Park was full so they put us in the parking lot. We did get to use their showers though. It wasn’t too bad because we weren’t there most of the time.

Well we got up early so we could have plenty of time to do everything we wanted. We decided to use the Metro (because of advice from Patrick’s cousin). We wanted to get a day’s pass for everyone but I guess they stopped doing day passes (probably to get more money from dumb tourists who don’t know any better). When we got on the Metro it was packed. Here we are (the seven of us) with a stroller, large bag, and small cooler. I had no idea how we’d fit. We got a lot of looks. Luckily a guy stood up and gave his seat to me and Justin. Justin was fine for the first minute and then decided he was done. He started trying to get down and started crying. I could not stop him. He wanted to put his feet on the guy next to me. I mean we were already sitting right next to each other (no personal space in this place). I kept taking his feet off the guy and he would scream and throw them back on the guy. Then the guy who gave me his place took out his i-pad out and had a toy story book on it. He let Justin look at it the rests of the time. He turned the pages for Justin and all. I’m so thankful for that guy. It could’ve gotten really bad otherwise. We got off the Metro and I started putting all the stuff on the stroller when Justin reached around and pushed the cooler off on to the floor. It opened and crashed to the floor sending ice cubes and yogurt everywhere. Now understand that no one stops in the Metro. They are always in a hurry. I got pushed out of the way (with Justin in my arms) several times. Well they don’t have garbage in the metro so I clean up all the ice and use a diaper and wipes to clean up the yogurt. They we put it in the stroller and got out of there. We then went to the Empire State Building. We went up on top and that was pretty neat looking down on everything. After that we decided to go to Central Park to eat and let the kids play for a while. By the time we bought some t-shirts and found a bathroom, (not an easy task around there) the kids were really hungry. We could not find anywhere to sit down and eat so we just ate on edge of the street. The kids were sitting on the sidewalk (what else could we do?) After this we didn’t really have time to go the Central Park before trying our luck at the rush lottery for Broadway tickets (Wicked) so that’s where we headed. We went the wrong way on the Metro but eventually made it in time. We didn’t win any tickets. Savannah was really sad. I felt terrible but the only other tickets were over $200. Yikes! We went to dinner and then finally headed over to Central Park. The play ground closed right when we got there, sad. Oh well, it was still nice. The younger boys climbed the rocks and then we left for the Metro to go home. We ended up in the bad side of town to catch the next Metro to take us back to the trailer. EKKKK! I told the kids to look straight ahead and walk really fast. It was pretty bad. We did make it back alive. Justin was pretty good most of the time and Tanner is just a trooper.

We ended up camping by a Mormon family and had another couple come up to us and ask if we were Mormon. We asked if it was that obvious and they said yes because off all the kids : ) They were also Mormons. We also saw a family on Liberty Island who had 8 kids and one of them had an EFY t-shirt on. It’s funny how we blend right in in Utah but we stick out like a sore thumb in NYC.

More stuff I learned –

Don’t let the kids play in the Metro or let them sit on the stairs or let them slide down the handrails; or you’ll get kicked off by police. Only stand in the corner as close to the wall if you are not moving.

Don’t bring kids under 10 to NYC.

Don’t bring food to NYC. There are not many places to eat and yogurt on the metro floor in not good.

July 8 –

This morning we went to Liberty Island on a ferry boat from New Jersey. This was a lot of fun! It was neat to see the Statue of Liberty up close and Elis Island. We are on the road right now until 9:30 (7:30 Utah time). Driving is a welcome rest. We are headed to Palmyra. Tomorrow we will go see The Sacred Grove, Joseph Smith’s house, and see the Hill Cumorah Pageant. I’m hoping it will be more restful. My feet are so sore….wahhhhhh!

Oh and my baby turns 18 tomorrow!!!!! Happy Birthday Matthew!!!

No comments: